DO NOT CONNECT CAMERA with USB cable until you have completed Step 2 and AltairCapture is installed!
Step 1: Read Getting Started with an Altair Camera (printable PDF).
Step 2: Download AltairCapture Software: Official software and the best option to get you started with your camera. Capture and save video or still images, with live preview mode. Live stacking feature with auto-alignment for EAA / Video Astronomy. Control exposure for long deep-sky or short solar system video, contrast, gain, brightness / gamma, saturation, dark frame subtraction. Draggable ROI (Region Of Interest) for high speed imaging. Supports 8bit (solar system) and 12bit (deepsky) modes. Supports true RAW mode (without Debayering). Output file formats include .FITS (16bit) .SER (8-12bit) .AVI (8bit) .BMP .PNG .TIFF .JPEG.
- Download AltairCapture Windows 3.7.13483.20181206 here (Windows XP SP3; Win 7, Win 8, Win 10. You will need Winzip to open the file, present on most Windows PCs). Please note cameras tend to work best on Win10.
- Download AltairCapture Mac 3.7.13270.20181102 BETA here (Beta for Mac OS recommended 2017+)
- Download AltairCapture Linux 3.7.13270.20181102 BETA here (Beta for Linux 86/64)
- Get ahead of the curve with latest AltairCapture Beta. Beta versions have new features and improvements, so we need your feedback here: Altair Astro Google Group for Technical Support.
Step 3: Download SharpCap PRO Software: Download Latest Sharpcap version here (Windows). You get a FREE SharpCap PRO License with every Altair camera made in 2017. Click how to claim your SharpCap PRO license for Altair Cameras for instructions. SharpCap supports Altair Cameras directly, with advanced features like Sharpcap PRO smart polar alignment designed to work with Altair 32mm 50mm 60mm Finder/Guidescopes. Includes Focus Assistance, Live Image Stacking for video astronomy/EAA, and ASCOM filter wheel control.
Step 4: More software directly compatible with Altair Cameras:
- For auto-guiding, Download latest version of PHD2 here. We recommend auto-guiding your GOTO mount through the camera and mount ST4 port with the grey ST4 cable provided with your camera. Plug the grey ST4 cable into the camera, and into the mount. Then connect the camera to your PC with the USB cable, then select Connect > “Altair camera”.
- Deep-sky imaging software APT (direct support for Altair Cameras)
- Deep-sky imaging software NINA (direct support for Altair Cameras)
- Desktop Planetarium software with plate solving and camera control KSTARS & EKOS (direct support for Altair Cameras in development)
- INDI Open Astronomy Instrumentation Software INDI (direct support for Altair Cameras)
- Solarsystem imaging software Firecapture Altair Camera support in Beta – support for some models.
Altair ASCOM Drivers: These are in constant development, and are usually updated first on the Google Group. This is a .ZIP file which can be opened by Winzip already present on most Windows PCs
- Download LATEST Altair Camera v22.214.171.124 ASCOM Driver here (Hypercam, GPCAM1, GPCAM2, GPCAM3 cameras.
- Download older Altair Camera v126.96.36.199 ASCOM Driver here (supports cameras manufactured on or before 1st Dec 2016).
For ASCOM driver info, tips & issues please join the Altair Astro Google Group and post in the relevant ASCOM Driver thread. GPCAM Direct Show drivers: Download GPCAM Direct Show driver here. Please note, these support early GPCAM only and are provided in a limited capacity for applications which cannot use the official Altair SDK.
Altair camera manuals & instructions:
- Altair camera Quick Start Guide (applies to all cameras and same as paper insert in the box. Download Altair Camera Quickstart Guide here.
- Read Getting Started with an Altair Camera (printable PDF).
- AltairCapture online manual & Guides – See main menu opposite for Getting Started and guides to features such as Region of Interest (ROI), Dark Frame Subtraction (DFS), Choosing File Formats, Timelapse Video and Still image capture, etc.
Altair camera support:
- Join the Altair Technical Support Forum covering all Altair Astro Products: Altair Astro Google Group for Technical Support Get software updates, Beta drivers and software. Discuss tips and techniques to get the most out of your camera. Please give a reason for joining, or your application will be rejected or delayed to stop spam.
- Join the Altair Astro Facebook Group Post images, discuss and share techniques with other Altair equipment users.
- Like the Official Altair Astro Facebook page for new product updates and info.